Character creation in Dolmenwood/Barrowmaze follows the guidelines from Labyrinth Lord with the following modifications:
- Ability scores are 3d6 in order. Roll five characters and pick two to play.
- Demihumans can use race-as-class option (Core Rules) or select their class (AEC).
- Clerics (& subclasses) are very human-centric and serve the One True God. (Half-breeds have limited advancement.)
- “Unlimited” demihuman level limits are replaced with “12th” (not that it will matter much in this campaign).
- All characters have maximum hit points at 1st lvl. Reroll all HD each level, with a minimum increase of +1 hp/lvl.
- Mortals generally ignore alignment (still applies supernatural effects & Clerics).
- Don’t bother with buying gear; I’ve posted Equipment Quick-Start rules.
- In addition to experience for treasure, participation and “story” XP will be awarded. Experience is generally retained by the player and can be distributed as desired between characters.
I’d prefer if players start the campaign with relatively “normal” PCs and focus more on campaign fluff as opposed to rules crunch. Warn me in advance if you’re planning on a “weird” class.
- Cleric (LL Core, plus tweaks)
– Druid (LL AEC) – Old Faith “pagans”
– Friar (FH&W) – see blog post
- Fighter (LL Core)
– Ranger (LL AEC) – 1st-lvl Rangers start with 10 hp
– Weird-Ass Black Pudding Fighter Subclass (Maximum 1 per party)
- Magic-User (LL Core)
– Illusionist (LL AEC)
– Elementalist (T&T)
- Thief (LL Core)
– Bard (DD) – reduced XP cost; add spells
– Mountebank (FDM)
Demihumans Generally Permitted:
- Moss Dwarf (Wormskin #1)
- Elf (Core & AEC) – Eld-flavoured
- Gnome (AEC, plus Forest, Rock, and Tinker Gnomes from CX1)
- Half-Goat (see blog post)
(Note that there are no ‘regular’ dwarves or halflings in this campaign.)
Permitted With Restrictions:
- Lumpen-Ones (see blog post)
- Grimalkin (Wormskin #1 plus revisions)
- Feral Dwarf (SUD) or Robo-Dwarf (FDM)
- Assassin (AEC) or Cultist/Anti-Cleric – if PCs are “evil”
- Vivimancer (T&T) – must be ‘unlocked’ in play
- Paladin (AEC) – must start as fighter then take vows of a paladin
- Witch (ADD) – Darker Paths Witch; if PCs are “evil”
- B/X Warrior or B/X Rogue (Necrotic Gnome) – with referee consent