The dragon-necked warships of the Viking raiders sail far and wide in search of treasure. Across the misty northern sea, at the very ends of the world, they discovered a rocky island and an ancient ruin. Song and legend called this land THULE, said to be home to the Hyperboreans – those ancient beings who first discovered magic when the world was new.
On the shore looms the BLACK CITY – a ruined, alien metropolis in the frozen glacier. The ruins are a sprawling expanse of basalt buildings and strange, cyclopean architecture.
The Vikings have a trading camp at a natural harbour near the Black City. Armed groups of adventurers use the camp as a base for forays into the ruins. Not far from here lies the main egress point into the sprawling dungeons beneath the city…
My new campaign is inspired by John Arendt’s Black City Project, set on an eldritch version of the Svalbard Islands (“THULE”) in the late Viking era. The game uses the Adventurer, Conqueror, King System (ACKS), with additions from the forthcoming Heroic Fantasy Companion and my previous Hyperborean campaign.
To learn more about the Black City, click on the following links:
- ACKS House Rules: Changes to baseline ACKS rules.
- Character Creation: Guidelines for wanna-be Vikings.
- Class Summaries: Descriptions of campaign classes.
- The Wolverines: Current Player Characters.
- Adventure Log: Sessions from the Black City.
Here are some posts related to the campaign that I refer to often:
- Personalities of Trade Town: Key Non-Player Characters.
- Equipment Availability in Trade Town: Stuff that you can buy.
- The Dark Spire: Background on the Wizard’s Tower and the Tolberts.
- Hyperborean City Geomorphs: Procedurally-generated urban ruins.
- Urban Ruincrawl: Further thoughts on urban exploration & hex generation.
- Eldritch Artifacts: Strange and alien items from the Realms of Crawling Chaos.
- Influences & Adventures: Where I swipe other peoples’ stuff.