Inspired by the creative works of C.A. Smith, R.E. Howard, and H.P. Lovecraft, Hyperborea is a “flat earth” micro-campaign setting; a polar continent at the End of Time. Hyperborea is a bleak world ruddily illumed by the scarlet light of a bloated, dying sun. At the rim of the world the seas spill perpetually into abysmal infinity.
The heroes of Hyperborea delve dungeons filled with horrifying monsters, lethal traps, and bewildering puzzles; they explore savage wilderness frontiers and hostile borderlands; they probe ancient ruins and investigate cursed tombs; they match steel against sorcery, and sorcery against steel; and they plunder for gold, gems, and magical treasure in a decaying world inhabited by bloodthirsty monsters and weird, alien beings.
Hyperborea is the campaign world for the Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (AS&SH) game from North Wind Adventures. I’m using it for Astonishing ACKS, and couldn’t resist tinkering with some of the setting elements.
For those who are already familiar with North Wind’s Hyperborea, here is a summary of significant setting changes:
- I’ve messed with Hyperborean Astronomy. My Hyperborea circles future Saturn, but in a Time-Warp which gives it a year similar to Old Earth.
- Hyperborean Cultures: Vikings → Skandiks; Esquimeaux → Eskuits; plus tweaks to Kimmerians and Hyperborean Languages.
- Hyperborean Demographics: I’m using the demographic guidelines from ACKS. The biggest difference is that there are larger rural populations than documented in the Hyperborean Gazetteer.
- The Many Faces of Xathoqqua: I’ve tried to flesh out worship of the great Old One.
- I’ve made custom classes for Apollo, Artemis, and Helios. These “Empyrean” deities are somewhat more popular than implied in the Hyperborean Gazetteer.
- I’ve also tweaked the Skandik Deities, providing background info and custom classes for Ymir, Ullr, Mjölnir, Jörmungandr, and Yikkorth.
There are other minor alterations, but the posts above should be enough to give you an idea where I’ve made significant changes.
Welcome to my Hyperborea!