In an attempt to speed up character creation, we’ll do randomized equipment selection. These tables are based Gavin Norman’s Dolmenwood House Rules.
Fighters (& subclasses) roll 1d6 twice and pick the best result; clerics (& subclasses) and non-humans roll 1d4; thieves (& subclasses) roll 1d4 but ignore shields; magic-users get no armour.
- Leather Armour (AC 7)
- Leather Armour + Shield (AC 6)
- Studded Leather (AC 6)
- Studded Leather + Shield (AC 5)
- Chainmail (AC 5)
- Chainmail + Shield (AC 4)
(Moss dwarfs get cork armour instead of leather, and pinecone armour instead studded.)
Fighters roll 1d12 twice; clerics roll 1d4 twice; thieves and non-humans roll 1d8 twice; magic-users get a dagger.
- Club (1d4 dmg)
- Quarterstaff (1d6 dmg, 2 hands)
- Mace (1d6 dmg)
- Sling + 20 Bullets (1d4 dmg)
- 3 Daggers (1d4 dmg)
- Hand Axe (1d6 dmg)
- Shortsword (1d6 dmg)
- Shortbow + 20 Arrows (1d6 dmg)
- Spear (1d6 dmg, or 1d8 dmg with 2 hands)
- Woodsman’s Axe (1d8 dmg, 2 hands)
- Longsword (1d8 dmg)
- Heavy Crossbow + 20 Quarrels (1d8 dmg)
(Moss dwarfs can swap metal weapons for a wooden cudgel (1d6 dmg).)
- Fighters who rolled crappy armour and weapons (referee’s discretion) get an extra piece of adventuring gear.
- Clerics get a wooden holy symbol.
- Thieves get thieves’ tools.
- Magic-users get a spellbook with one spell selected by player plus 1d4 random spells.
General Adventuring Gear
All characters start play with a backpack, a tinderbox, 5 torches, 1d12gp, and 1d4 items rolled from the list below:
- 10 iron spikes
- 5 days’ rations
- 50′ hempen rope
- Lantern and 3 flasks of oil
- Ink, quill, and 5 sheets of parchment
- 10 sticks of chalk
- Small sack