There’s not too many humanoid races in Hyperborea and I’ve already done a post on Ape-Men custom classes, so here I’m focusing on the Vhuurmi instead.
Just a reminder on who the Vhuurmis are:
The Vhuurmis are a degenerate race of quasi-men that stand some six feet in height and are covered in shaggy, umber-coloured fur. Their faces are fur-hedged as those of baboons, except they are disturbingly human, with bright blue eyes, smooth ruddy skin, and pointed ears.
(Refer also to my earlier earlier Vhuurmis post.)
Vhuurmis classes require a minimum Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of 9 or higher. (Specific custom classes may have additional requirements.)
Class Category Values
Fighting: Vhuurmi with broad and narrow weapon selections are limited to choosing from the following weapons: greatclub, battle axe, great axe, hand axe, javelin, morning star, short sword, spear, sword, and two-handed sword.
Divine: When a Vhuurmis has accumulated sufficient XP to advance to 2nd level, he may begin to follow the path of the Shaman, to a maximum permitted caster level of 6 + his Divine value. Vhuurmis Shamans universally venerate Xathoqqua and use the Xathoqquan Cleric spell list.
Arcane: When a Vhuurmis has accumulates sufficient XP to advance to 3rd level, he may begin to follow the path of the Witch Doctor, to a maximum permitted caster level of 4 + his Arcane value.
(Beastmen Shamans and Witch Doctors are described in Axioms Issue 2.)
Vhuurmis Racial Traits
All Vhuurmi gain the following custom powers:
- Battleborn: Vhuurmi begin play with 2d8+1 bonus hit dice (modified by CON). They deal +1 damage in combat due to their inherent strength. When calculating their attack throws on the Monster or Class Attack Throw tables, Vhuurmi count as two levels greater than their actual level of experience. When calculating their saving throws, Vhuurmi count as two levels greater than their actual level of experience.
- Fearsome Size: Vhuurmi get larger as they advance in experience, growing approximately ½” of height and 10lbs of muscle per level.
When they reach 2nd level, the Vhuurmis gains a +1 bonus to damage rolls due to his size. At 3rd level, the damage bonus is increase to +2.
At 5th level, the damage bonus is increased to +3 and the Vhuurmis’s great size and strength grants a +1 morale bonus to Vhuurmi henchmen, retainers, and followers. At 8th level, the damage bonus is increased to +4, and at 12th level it is increased to +5.
Vhuurmi also have increased encumbrance values (13/20/26/52).
- Climbing: Vhuurmi are skilled climbers, lairing in caves that pock the faces of sheer mountain walls. They may Climb Walls as a Thief of level equal to their Hit Dice.
- Shaggy Hide: A Vhuurmis’s base unarmored AC is 3 instead of 0. However, Vhuurmi may not wear human-sized armour due to their hide However, and their base movement rate is only 90′. Custom-made Vhuurmis armour has quadruple normal cost. Magical armour may be worn normally.
In addition, their shaggy hides provide a +2 on saves versus cold-related effects.
- Subterrannean: A Vhuurmis gains infravision to a range of 60′.
- Inhumanity: Vhuurmi suffer a -2 penalty to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of humans. They receive an equivalent bonus to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of fellow Vhuurmi.
(Use the Bugbear Warrior custom class from Axioms Issue 2, substituting Vhuurmis racial traits as noted above.)