Here’s some background for the Hyperborean cultures. The adventure takes place in Brigand’s Bay, which has a racially-diverse population: In addition to characters of “Common” stock, Kelt, Skandik, (renegade) Picts, Kimmerian (and Kimmeri-Kelt), and Eskuit are all acceptable. I’ve greyed out unlikely options.
Nine “pure” cultures of man are extant in Hyperborea, plus two notable hybrid peoples. Otherwise, admixtures and men of indeterminate ancestry are considered “common” stock. For purposes of game play, choosing a specific player character background is not necessary; when in doubt, simply select a “common” man or woman. Selecting a specific culture can be an enjoyable role-playing device. You might also create a character whose pedigree includes two or three strains; e.g., the son of an Amazon woman and a Skandik man can make for an interesting character.
- COMMON: Men of mixed or indeterminate ancestry, with variable height, build, complexion, hair colour, and eye colour.
- AMAZON: Renowned for its caste of tall and robust warrior-women, with light to olive complexion, black to auburn hair, and blue or hazel eyes.
- ATLANTEAN: Medium-built men of glaucous complexion, black or blond hair, aquiline features, and pale grey or yellow eyes. Do not generally mix with the other races of man.
- ESKUIT: A dark-complexioned aboriginal people. Coastal Eskuit subsist off the sea, hunting seal and whale and fishing from their sealskin kayaks; while Tundra Eskiut roam the tundra herding reindeer, raising sled dogs, and hunting mammoth.
- HYPERBOREAN: Extremely tall men (c. 7-foot males, 6½-foot females) of milk-white skin, golden hair, and violet eyes; some females have blue-black hair. Reputed to live 200 or more years. Reputed to be sexually incompatible with the other races.
- IXIAN: Tall, narrow-shouldered, hook-nosed men of dusky grey skin and beady black eyes. Their women are raven-haired beauties with emerald eyes.
- KELT: Barrel-chested men of red, brown, or auburn hair. Kelts are of fair and oft-freckled complexion, their eyes blue, green, or hazel.
- KIMMERIAN: Large-boned men of fair to weather-bronzed skin, black hair, steel grey eyes, and thick, blue-black beards.
- Kimmeri-Kelt: The by-blows of Kimmerian and Kelt unions. The Kimmerian dark hair is a dominant trait; likewise the Keltic freckled complexion.
- PICT: Compact, broad-shouldered men with long torsos and short legs. Typically they have green eyes and dense, wavy, orange-red hair. Pictish women are usually petite, no taller than five feet. The men are ruddily complexioned, but the women are almost always fair-skinned, both sexes being heavily freckled.
- Half-Blood Pict (Tlingit): The by-blows of Pictish men and Tlingit women. They tend to be leaner and more swarthily complexioned, with straight, black hair and brown or hazel eyes.
- SKANDIK: Robust, fair-skinned men with blond or red hair and blue or hazel eyes. Their women are lean and strong-boned, many as physically gifted as Amazon women.
Other Cultures: With referee approval, other strains might exist in small numbers, arriving through the boreas from Earth’s past or future, or perhaps from other worlds. Remnants of past migratory races (largely considered extinct) might persist in small numbers: Angles, Saxons, Moors, Greeks, Romans, Rus, Finns, Lapps, Yakuts, and Valusians; to name a few.