Sometimes, struggling fishing towns have little recourse but to seek these dangers to increase their fishing catch. Other times greedy sailors make bargains with sea demons for the gold they mine in unfathomable depths. In either case, the necessary pacts always involve the union of humans and Deep Ones, from which the Sea Bloods originate.
Player characters may come from one of these communities, fully aware of the chilled fish-frog blood that slithers through their veins. Other characters may be oblivious to it, having a Deep One ancestor somewhere in their distant heritage… until they get older and the “look” begins to manifest.
Sea Bloods require a minimum Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom of 9 or better. (Atlantean Hybrids must also possess an Intelligence score of 9 or higher.) Their Charisma scores may be no higher than 14. They must be Chaotic or (rarely) Neutral; never Lawful.
Class Category Values
Fighting: Sea Bloods (including Atlantean Hybrids) with narrow or broad weapon selections must include tridents (a type of polearm) among their selections.
Divine: All Sea Bloods (including Atlantean Hybrids) of divine bent must venerate Kthulhu, Dagon, or the like.
Sea Blood Category
This racial template represents hybrid Sea Bloods with increasing Deep One taint. The most fortunate hybrids – Sea Blood Value 0 – can pass as ugly or degenerate humans (PCs are assumed to be of this sort), but if their Sea Blood taint becomes known they will be persecuted and likely killed. At Sea Blood Value 4, the character is indistinguishable from a Deep One.
Value Sea Blood XP Cost 4 Sea Blood 4 550 3 Sea Blood 3 450 2 Sea Blood 2 350 1 Sea Blood 1 250 0 Sea Blood Hybrid 125
Sea Blood Hybrids (Value 0) possess the following traits:
- Swimming: Value 0 Sea Bloods gain a swimming movement rate of 60′ (20′).
- Breathe Water: Characters with Sea Blood Value 0 have vestigial gills and may breathe water for 12 rounds (2 minutes).
- Tainted Blood: Value 0 Sea Bloods suffer a −1 penalty to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of humans. The character gets an equivalent bonus to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of Sea Bloods and Deep Ones.
- Longevity: At Sea Blood Value 0, the character has a lifespan of approximately 130 years. (Use the ‘Halfling’ entry from ACKS p.250 for age categories.)
At Sea Blood Value 1, the character has the following traits:
- Swimming: All Sea Bloods of Value 1 or higher gain a swimming movement rate of 90′ (30′).
- Breathe Water: Characters with Sea Blood Value 1 may breathe water for 1 turn (10 minutes).
- Tainted Blood: Sea Bloods of Value 1 or higher suffer a −2 penalty to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of humans. The character gets an equivalent bonus to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of Sea Bloods and Deep Ones.
- Longevity: At Sea Blood Value 1 or higher, the character is ageless and enjoys a lifespan of 260 years or more, even if he does not transform into a ‘full’ Deep One. They are also immune to the paralyzing touch of elder ghouls. After reaching adulthood, the character will find it increasingly difficult to resist the urge to go and live in the sea as an immortal Deep One.
- Infravision: At Value 1, the Sea Blood gains 30-foot infravision.
- Tracking: At Sea Blood Value 1 and above, the character can track by scent. He receives Tracking as a bonus proficiency.
- Strange Tongues: Sea Bloods of Value 1 and higher can innately speak and understand R’leyhian (the Deep Ones’ croaking speech).
Add the following traits at Sea Blood Values 2, 3, and 4:
- Amphibious: Characters with Sea Blood Value 2 or higher possess full gills and are completely amphibious – but must be immersed in water at least once each week or else sicken and die.
- Infravision: At Value 2, the Sea Blood’s infravision increases to 45′. Value 3 and above possess 60-foot range infravision.
- Attunement: At Sea Blood Value 2 and above, the character’s bulging fish eyes grants a +1 bonus against surprise.
- Scaly Hide: At Sea Blood Value 2, the character’s scaly hide increases his unarmoured AC to 1. At Value 3, this increases to AC 2 but the character’s base land movement is reduced by 30′. At Value 4, base AC is increased to 3 (move remains -30′).
- Claws: At Sea Blood Value 3, the character gains a claw/claw attack routine. His claws inflict 1d2-1/1d2-1 points of damage. At Value 4, claw damage increases to 1d4-1/1d4-1.
- Increased Encumbrance: At Sea Blood Value 4, the character’s encumbrance categories increase to 7/10/14/28.
Finally, all Sea Bloods (even Hybrids) possess the following special trait:
- Deep One Transformation: If and when a Sea Blood completes his transformation into a full Deep One, the character retains his class abilities and may continue to level and grow in HD and in power. The character can continue to play as a Deep One. This works similarly to the Zaharan Ruinguard’s After the Flesh power. It requires, however, an unholy ritual of self-sacrifice to the Chaotic gods Kthulhu and Dagon, which costs money and effort. (As well as your soul…)
Experience Point Progression
Sea Bloods Hybrids increase the amount of experience required to gain each level after 8th by 20,000XP. At Sea Blood Value 1 and above, the XP required to advance above 8th level continues to double.
Atlanteans are the scattered remnants of a nearly extinct race whose origins trace back to Old Earth. In Hyperborea, many have developed aquatic traits: webbed digits, amphibious respiratory systems (including gill slits on their necks), and oily skin that dries painfully if not immersed in salt water. These degenerate individuals are, in fact, tainted with Deep One blood.
Value Atlantean Hybrid XP Cost 2 Atlantean Hybrid + 2 proficiencies 575 1 Atlantean Hybrid + 1 proficiency 375 0 Atlantean Hybrid 125
Atlantean Hybrids possess the same traits as Value 0 Sea Bloods. Unlike Sea Bloods, additional points allocated to the Atlantean Hybrid Value represents expertise in crafts and lore. Each point provides one bonus general proficiency as well as a +1 bonus on proficiency throws and thief skills. However, the Atlantean Hybrid’s degenerate bloodline limits this to a maximum of value of 2.
Experience Point Progression
Atlantean Hybrids increase the amount of experience required to gain each level after 8th by 20,000XP.