Brutish and violent, these quasi-humans walk upright as men. Ape-Men have the base countenance and body hair of an ape and a body type that presents with human and simian characteristics, including opposable thumbs.
An advanced group of Ape-Men populates the City-State of Kor and serves as its ruling elite. These Ape-Men can read and write, found weapons and tools of iron and steel, and advance in the adventuring classes.
Less well-known are Ape-Men Hybrids, the result of an unnatural union between human and Ape-Man. These Hybrids may be appropriate as Player Characters.
All Ape-Man classes require a minimum Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution of 9 or better. Their Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores can be no higher than 14 (15 for Hybrids).
Class Category Values
For the purposes of custom class creation, treat advanced Ape-Men as Value 1 and Hybrids as Value 0.
Due to their subhuman ancestry, Ape-Men (and hybrids) are restricted Arcane or Divine Values of no higher than 2.
Advanced Ape-Man (+200 XP)
This template represents an advanced Ape-Man from the City-State of Kor. Some sages posit that these elevated simians to be the beneficiaries of otherworldly sponsorship.
- Animal Reflexes: Ape-Men gain a +1 bonus on surprise and initiative rolls. This does not provide a bonus to casting spells.
- Fangs and Claws: Ape-Men can use their fangs and claws as natural weapons. In lieu of attacking with a normal weapon, the character can initiate an attack routine consisting of two claw attacks and one bite attack. The claws deal 1d2-1 damage each, while the bite deals 1d4-1 damage. Both the claw and bite damage will be modified by the character’s STR adjustment and damage bonus. When the character reaches 5th level, these natural weapons become capable of harming creatures only hit by magical weapons. Ape-Men cannot use their fangs and claws while wielding weapons, using shields, or wearing armour heavier than chain mail.
- Subhuman Lineage: Because of his subhuman nature, the maximum class level for any Ape-Man class is decreased by 1.
- Inhumanity: The Ape-Man suffers a −2 penalty to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of humans. The character gets an equivalent bonus to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of fellow Ape-Men.
Hybrids are accepted in Ape-Man society, but the human blood within them often leads to feelings of revulsion towards their simian heritage. The most fortunate can pass as ugly or degenerate humans, but if their Ape-Man blood is known they will be persecuted and likely killed.
- Animal Reflexes: Hybrids gain a +1 bonus on surprise and initiative rolls. This does not provide a bonus to casting spells.
- Fangs: Hybrids retain large canine teeth, but they are not big enough to be effective weapons. A hybrid’s bite deals only 1d3-1 damage, and cannot harm creatures hit only by magical weapons.
- Subhuman Lineage: Because of his subhuman nature, the maximum class level for any Hybrid class is decreased by 1.
- Inhumanity: The Hybrid suffers a −1 penalty to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of humans. The character gets an equivalent bonus to the reactions, loyalty, and morale of Ape-Men.
Experience Point Progression
Unlike the experience point progression for human classes, the XP required to advance in Ape-Man (and Hybrid) classes always continues to double, even after 8th level.