Beastmen are genetic chimerae, hybrids with a mixture of DNA from homo sapiens and one or more other animal species. There are many different ‘strains’ of beastman, each with its own characteristics. A beastman’s mutations are determined by their strain; in addition to the types listed below, the referee may allow additional strains of beastmen.
Note that beastmen are always humanoid in form and typically possess a limited number of mutations. Although several beastman clans are nominally part of the Affiliation, members have difficulty finding acceptance and are often referred to by a number of derogatory nicknames, such as ‘moreaus’, ‘furries’, or ‘taheen’.
(Add the character’s Prime Requisite modifier to all level limits.)
F Favoured class; beastmen can freely multiclass as hunters.
Ability Scores: Beastmen have a minimum CON score of 9. They have a maximum INT of 17 (before adjustments). In addition, they receive adjustments to their ability scores depending on animal strain.
Special Abilities: All beastmen possess Nightvision. They favour the hunter class, and may multiclass as hunters. Beastman PCs typically speak Unislang and the Beast Tongue, but are illiterate.
In addition, beastmen receive the following special abilities depending on strain:
- Apefolk: A hybrid of humans and apes, apefolk were used as battle fodder in wars on and off-world. They lack any notable mutations, but receive +2 STR.
- Camazot: Camazots are freakish human/bat parahumans with the following characteristics: -2 STR, +2 DEX, Blindsight, Wings, Bizarre Appearance, Poor Vision, and Dwarfism.
- Catfolk: These human/feline hybrids possess the following characteristics: -1 STR, +1 DEX, Keen Ears, and Claws.
- Dogface: These human/canine crossbreeds have the following characteristics: +1 STR, Bite Attack, Keen Nose.
- Fishmen: Piscine humanoids with humanoid body and fishy facial features. -2 CHA, Swim (MV 30’), Gills, and Distinctive Odour.
- Jagrilla: These engineered soldiers combine human, jaguar, and gorilla genetics. Jagrillas possess the following characteristics: +2 STR, -1 INT, -1 WIS, +1 DEX, +1 CON, -2 CHA, Bite Attack, Malformed Mouth, and Pain Insensitivity.
- Lizardfolk: Reptilian beastmen with scaly skin and dim minds: +1 STR, -3 INT, +1 CON, -1 CHA, Swim (MV 20′), Hold Breath (up to 1 turn), Bite Attack, Scaly Armour.
- Suidoid: Suidoids are bipedal mutant pigs with four functioning arms and a long whip-like black curly tail. +1 CON, -1 CHA, Additional Arm (×2), Aberrant Form.
Restrictions: Beastmen must succeed a saving throw vs. poison or become ill when using Ancient medicines and related relics. They may advance up to 9th level as hunters, 8th level as fighters, 7th level as thieves, 6th level as psionicists, 5th level as clerics, and 4th level as magic-users.
Reaction Adjustments: Like mutants, beastmen receive a -1 reaction penalty from ‘normal’ humans, and a -1 morale penalty when serving under a human.